Alternative investments

Our unique combination of financial and legal services…

You may be seeking alternative investments opportunities in smaller or emerging businesses for a variety of reasons.

Our financial planners can advise on a range of vehicles such as Enterprise Investment Schemes (EIS) and Venture Capital Trusts (VCT), which exist to encourage investment in smaller, unquoted trading companies that are in their infancy, operating in certain industry sectors.

Alternative Investments are financial instruments that offer specific tax benefits to clients, such as Income Tax relief, Capital Gains Tax deferral, or exemption and tax-free dividend income. They do, however, differ from more traditional investment vehicles, since they carry significant risk. Accordingly, they are only suitable for clients with particular financial requirements and a greater risk appetite.

Our financial planners will determine whether these types of investment are appropriate for your circumstances, offering accurate, clear and current advice on whether these complex and ever-evolving vehicles suit your investment criteria.

If you would like to speak to our team of Chartered financial planners to discuss your alternative investments, please do get in touch.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate income tax planning, will writing or inheritance tax planning.

VCT investments are in small unquoted companies and should be considered high risk. They are only suitable for UK resident taxpayers who can tolerate higher risk and have a time horizon greater than five years.
Shares in VCTs are usually highly illiquid. VCTs may be higher risk and more difficult to realise than investing in other securities.
Historic investment performance is no guide to future performance and any investment may fail, causing you to lose the whole amount invested.
Tax rules, levels and regulations are subject to change and the availability of tax reliefs will depend upon individual circumstances.
VCT investment should only be undertaken by sophisticated investors who understand the underlying investment strategy and associated risks. For help in determining investment suitability, professional advice should be sought.

This communication is not investment advice. The value of investments and income from them is not guaranteed, can fall, and you may get back less than you invested. Your capital is therefore always at risk. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. If you invest in currencies other than your own, fluctuations in currency value will mean that the value of your investment will move independently of the underlying asset.